Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church is a body of people joined together to learn and experience the love of God. Our mission is to live the Christian faith by reaching out to people of all ages in Laramie and beyond.
The worship service of the Lutheran church is based on communion liturgies established during the early centuries of Christianity. The current service has maintained many of its ties to the Reformation and the teachings of Martin Luther.
The basic precept of the Lutheran faith is based on Ephesians 2:8-9 , “For it is by God’s grace that you have been saved through faith. It is not the result of your own efforts but God’s gift.”
As a consequence of this gift, we are also a confessional church. This is based on 1 John 1:8-9 , “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just, and will forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” Each service therefore begins with a form of confession.
The Sacrament of the Altar or Holy Communion (offered at all Sunday services) is one of the most fundamental beliefs in Christianity. Luther taught that the bread and the wine remain bread and wine when taken, but there exists a union of them with the real and living presence of Christ’s body and blood. The Apostle Paul says that when we come with penitent and believing hearts, we are truly worthy and well prepared for forgiveness. Our Communion celebration is open to everyone.
The church is congregational in nature, but is run by a council of 12 members. These members are elected to three-year terms at the Annual Meeting in January each year. The Council elects the offices of the President, Vice President and Secretary.
The Council is supported by a committee structure and each Council member is a liaison (but not necessarily head) to a committee. The committees are:
- Christian Education
- Social Ministry
- Worship & Music
- Mutual Ministry
- Campus Ministry
Trinity Lutheran Church of Laramie is now over 125 years old. From its humble beginnings in the little church on the West Side of town, Trinity has overcome many financial hardships and has grown to a healthy congregation that truly embraces its motto, “The Welcome Place.”
The First Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church was chartered on August 13th, 1884 with services conducted in the Scandinavian languages. Faith sustained the small congregation of Swedes, Danes, and Norwegians even as they found it difficult to retain and pay a pastor.
The church transitioned into English speaking services and by 1906, was referenced as Trinity Lutheran Church. A new church building was needed to accommodate the growing congregation and on February 11, 1925, the first meal was served in the new structure on 7th Street between Ivinson and University.
During the darkest days of the Great Depression, the church faced financial difficulties. In 1937, the church was in danger of being sold on the auction block, but members rallied to raise enough money to pay off the debt and keep the doors open. Thus began an age of renewal that embraced a spirit of optimism and friendship.
During the 40’s, 50’s, and 60’s, physical improvements were made to the structure. By 1953, the mortgage was paid off.
The 70’s were a time of increased fellowship and financial stability. Membership grew and the church was recognized by the Rocky Mountain Synod as a “giving congregation.”
Since 1988, the church has continued to thrive: welcoming more members, creating an internship program, facing difficulties with humility and humor, embracing new traditions, and planning for the future.
Many have come before us and it is by their faith and God’s love that Trinity continues to flourish. Although the next 130 years won’t be without hardships, we hope the church will retain its spirit of welcoming fellowship as it seeks to serve Christ.[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKshsZuIZ2Q]